Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Devil Wears McDonalds

I'm back home now but wanted to catch up on a couple things that tickled my brain in Milan. One was how previlant McDonalds was. I mean everywhere. Out of all the cultural wealth we hold here in America, our calling card to the world is McDonalds. Nothing gave me a double take like the shop in the middle of the galleria in Milan. We have a galleria here in the Twin Cities, as you probably do as well but Milan's might have you beat. Built in the late 1800's you can stand on miles of marble floor and turn 360 degrees in the middle and see Prada, Dolce & Gabbana, Versace, Louis Vuitton and yes... Mc Donalds in the next storefront.





The crazy thing is that it wasn't filled with tourists and aspiring young American wanna be youth. It was filled with local men chatting, nice old ladies having coffee and a broad range of clientele. The part that really got me is you can't walk more than 100 yards in Milan without bumping into a bistro or coffee shop with 1 euro espresso's or cappachino's ground on the spot and the coffee at Mickey D's was being constantly poured and it stunk. I'm not even a coffee guy and I thought it was horrible. Go Figure.

I should also mention that I have been liberated from guilt of taking bad pictures. Yes, I know these pictures suck and no, I don't care too much. They're for a disposible blog and I snapped then as I was walking by. Ahh, what a refreshing feeling to have zero pressure to make something artful and expressive. :0)

Oh, and for those of you wondering what this season's Prada bag bombshell will be, I snapped a shot:



Who ever would have guessed fur dashboards would ever be in style outside of the low rider community?

4 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

"Ahh, what a refreshing feeling to have zero pressure to make something artful" ... that's exactly how my friend Sharyn felt afterseeing Scrapped in Wellington - just to make something that she likes that brings back memories

 
At 6:29 AM, Blogger wes said...

Hi Jenny,

I've read your "Engel Down Under" blog and if Sharyn is anything like you then the artful part just comes naturally. ;0)

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger wes said...

Oh yeah,

And thanks for posting in the 2nd of two posts! When I get a chance to blog I sometimes post a couple things within an hour of another because they're different topics and I get the feeling people just read the first one that pops up then miss the second one beneath it.

 
At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... don't dis your pictures.. they are awesome (and I'm saying that as a viewer - not because I know what you're shooting :).

I'm still laughing at this post... "our gift to the world is McD's". And their sh__y coffee.

Good to hear from you brotha. Let's keep on keeping on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home